Promises of God
Each day we are faced with a choice to believe God or to believe the enemy’s lies. As God’s sons and daughters, we have already been rescued from the domain of darkness and transferred into the kingdom of God (Colossians 1:13). However, we live in a battle zone where the enemy wants us to believe his lies and feel separated from God.
This month’s ABIDE focuses on God’s Promises. God’s truth is how we fight against the lies of the enemy. We can experience God’s presence, His healing, His freedom, and His hope as we choose to believe and stand on His promises.
Aligning our Hearts with God
Let’s begin ABIDE by taking a moment to quiet our hearts and minds before God. Simply take a deep breath and exhale slowly. You may want to pray a “breath prayer” as you inhale and exhale, such as, “God, you are faithful!”
Note: If you are leading a small group through ABIDE, pray the first prayer below over those you are leading. If you are praying ABIDE alone, use the second prayer.
Prayer: Father, we love you and we need you. Holy Spirit, fill us and lead us as we gather to pray and study Scripture. We dedicate this time to you and what you have for us to receive from you as your sons and daughters. Remove any distractions and help us to focus our hearts on you. In Jesus Name, Amen.
Prayer: Father, I give my heart to you. I surrender every area of my life to you. I choose to trust you with my whole heart and with everything in my life. You are my good, good Father who loves me. Thank you for being faithful, all-knowing, and all-powerful. Remove any distractions from me and help me focus on you. Holy Spirit, fill me and help me discern your voice as I pray. In Jesus Name, Amen.
Prayers of Thanksgiving & Praise
In every situation take up the shield of faith with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one (Ephesians 6:16).
When we choose faith in our God over lies from the enemy, the enemy’s arrows are extinguished. Let’s thank God for who He is, for what He has done in our lives and praise Him for His goodness, faithfulness, and power to transform our hearts and homes for His glory.
Prayer: God, we/I thank you for_______________________________(fill in the blank with what you most thankful for) and praise you for _______________________(fill in the blank with praises to God for who He is and what He is doing in your life today). In Jesus name.
Prayer for My Heart
What are the battles in your heart and life today? It is essential that we “name” our battles so that the lies of the enemy are exposed and so that we can pray God’s promises over our battles. Battles can be negative thoughts, unpleasant to painful emotions, sin, trials, losses – we face all kinds of battles. But God is loving, faithful and will never leave us or forsake us. He is working in the battles that are taking place within our hearts and desires that we experience His presence and victory in the battles.
Read the following Promises of God aloud as a prayer to God. You might want to ask God to help you memorize one of these promises. Every time a flaming arrow of the evil one is coming towards you, choose God’s promise over the lie from the enemy and thank God for His presence, power, and victory.
- Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be afraid, for I am your God. I will strengthen you; I will help you; I will hold on to you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)
- You will keep the mind that is dependent on you in perfect peace, for it is trusting in you. (Isaiah 26: 3)
- The LORD is the one who will go before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or abandon you. Do not be afraid or discouraged. (Deuteronomy 31:8)
- I will instruct you and show you the way to go; with my eye on you, I will give counsel (Psalm 32:8)
- Come to me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take up my yoke and learn from me, because I am lowly and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. (Matthew 11:28-29)
- But those who trust in the LORD will renew their strength; they will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not become weary, they will walk and not faint. (Isaiah 40:31)
- You will seek me and find me when you search for me with all your heart. (Jeremiah 29:13)
- The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still. (Exodus 14:14)
- And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)
- “Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,” says the LORD, who has compassion on you. (Isaiah 54:10)
- The God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, establish, strengthen, and support you after you have suffered a little while. (1 Peter 5:10)
- So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. (John 8:36)
Prayer for Other’s Hearts
As we focus on God’s promises this month, let’s pray God’s promises over our family, friends, and church this month. We can ask the Spirit to speak to us daily and bring people to mind and pray His promises over their lives.
Prayer: God, thank you for____________________________. I pray that you will help them to believe your promise _______________________ (fill in the blank with one of the Scriptures listed above). Bring your presence, your healing, your freedom, and your blessings into their heart and life today. In Jesus Name.
God, thank you that we belong to you. Thank you for your unconditional and powerful love for us. Thank you that our hearts can rest in your goodness, your faithfulness, and your promises. We love you. In Jesus Name, Amen.